Beyond’s Engineering team believes in:
- Reducing scope – The best way to control progress and test hypotheses is to prevent scope creep
- Shipping early – The best way to learn early is to ship early. No need to be perfect
- Iterating and improving – Once we get the feedback we need, we iterate and improve
- Taking ownership – The code we ship is our responsibility as we know it best
- Delivering value – By focussing on providing the best customer experience, we improve acquisition and retention and drive revenue.
As our Backend Engineer, Data, you’ll be responsible for:
- Collaborating with your peers from product, design, and engineering on a cross-functional, outcome-based team to craft and deliver on OKRs
- Helping drive your team through large projects autonomously, while continuously assessing and communicating progress and iterating on solutions.
- Collaborating and recommending architectural solutions, while understanding and explaining trade-offs around time to market, structural and functional quality, security, maintainability, resources, and scope.
- Supporting and maintaining the existing code baseline and products.
- Exercising and improving Beyond’s engineering practices such as refactoring, pairing, code reviews, collective code ownership, containers, IaC, CI/CD, observability.
So what kind of person are we looking for in this role? The person who will be successful in this role will be:
- Curious – You are driven to understand how things work or why they don’t. You are interested in finding out how your work impacts our customers and the world they live in.
- Collaborative – You enjoy exploring and committing as a team, you welcome others’ ideas, and you value teamwork and team decision-making over being right and having things going your way.
- Result-oriented – You manage the trade-offs between speed and quality and are able to find the right balance. You would rather ship, measure, learn and iterate, rather than coding the perfect component on the first try.
- Resilient – You can adapt and roll up your sleeves to help others. You operate at a stable pace with visibility most of the time and you are ready to embrace change when it happens.
Now that we’ve told you what the job looks like, here are the qualifications we’re looking for in a candidate:
- 5+ years of experience building services in a multi-tenant SaaS environment
- Expertise in Python, SQL, Postgres
- Experience with data streams, job orchestration, map-reduce, blob storage, high volume, high concurrency ETL/ELT, columnar and time-series databases
- A predisposition for a fast-paced environment where we put an emphasis on delivering value for our customers, while learning, growing, and experimenting
So what can you expect after you apply? Your application will be personally reviewed by a member of the Beyond hiring team and if there is a match in your experience and the role, you will:
- Have a video conversation with someone on our Recruiting team. This is a high-level conversation about your experience and interest, but also an opportunity for you to learn more about us
- Meet with a Software Engineer for a deeper dive video conversation
- Complete a Technical Challenge relevant to the role and present it to members of our Engineering team and our Data Scientist
- Meet with our Chief Technology Officer