This is a very rare opportunity and I’m looking for the right person to seize it. I’ll speak in first person as the reason we’re looking for a head of operations is quite personal. Let me explain.
Hello! My name is Ikenna, I’m the CEO of a language learning startup called Fluyo (www.fluyoapp.com). Fluyo is an all-in-one language learning app designed to be the most fun and effective way to learn a language ever created. Think language learning meets Pokémon, World of Warcraft, and Studio Ghibli. Last month, after 2 years of secretly building Fluyo, we finally came out of stealth mode and have already amassed a waiting list of 100,000+ sign ups.
At Fluyo we are dedicated to bringing forth a new kind of language learning app. There are “gamified” language learning apps out there. However Fluyo is a game to learn languages in addition to being many other things. Our app is created directly by passionate polyglots and language learners for other language learners. Our ultimate goal is to blend pure fun with learning effectiveness in a way that’s never been done before.
So why is this a rare opportunity? Fluyo is on the cusp of launching our Kickstarter (and app soon after) to a massive audience. We have an incredibly solid product, a large fanbase (several million subscribers between my YouTube channel and a few partnered content creators) and we’re looking for someone to join the team for a significant chunk of equity as opposed to a set salary.
Normally, we would have waited another year or two before bringing on someone for operations and offered this position for a market salary and a small amount of equity (1-2%). However, as mentioned the circumstances around this job are quite personal.
I’ve been building Fluyo alongside my team (10+ people) completely remotely from my bed. Back in 2020, I was diagnosed with POTS, which has left me bedridden since. My disability occasionally prevents me from working as much as I’d like to. Hence bringing on someone on who can execute on my vision and ensure Fluyo scales properly would take a lot off of my shoulders.
Specifically we are looking for an outgoing, go-getter type to lead operations. You need to have considerable leadership experience either from your own ventures or from working at startups. We need someone who has been a pivotal factor in the success of a rapid scale-up. Someone who will guide our company to 100 employees and a clear track record of doing so. The role would mainly involve you establishing and building out our marketing, recruiting and customer success teams.
We’ve been valued at a pre-money $4M valuation after a $100k investment for 2.5%. Hence, the value of our base equity offer (5%) is valued at $200k currently, but can be easily worth $1M+ post app release in 1 year.
Fluyo has great potential. As a prelaunch startup we already have a proven audience, a proven ability to build a product, and a proven valuation. We fully believe we can be one of the biggest companies in the language learning industry in 4-5 years time. Moreover, the positive impact we can have on the world, from making something as challenging as learning a language into something as fun as a video game, is enormous. If you’re entrepreneurial, see the vision and have the skills we are looking for… this is the job for you.
- Ikenna Obi, CEO of Fluyo (www.instagram.com/ikennaobi)
Comp & Perks
- 💰 5 – 7% equity vested monthly over 3 years + negotiable salary post app launch (late 2023)
- 🌍 100% Remote working (our team is based in 7 different countries worldwide)
- 🚀 Make a real difference (You’ll be getting in on the ground floor, and can have a huge impact. We’ll be launching our Kickstarter in a few months with the goal of generating upwards of $1m. So this is a really exciting time to join)
- 🐣 Be an early founding member (as the company grows, your role will grow, and so will all the rewards!)
💼 What we’d need you to do:
- Spearhead the marketing effort of our Kickstarter campaign by managing relations with crowdfunding agencies & partnered content creators, managing our communication with our email list subscribers, creating press releases, networking with journalists and writing marketing copy (now to early 2023)
- Establish and build out our customer success, recruiting and marketing teams into tight-knit, high performing units that hit key metrics (2023 onwards)
- Oversee finance and setup payroll for employees
- Help establish company-wide standardized onboarding and recruiting procedures
- Optimize our company Wiki and any necessary documentation that will allow Fluyo to scale easier
- Help build upon Fluyo’s remote culture in aim of our goal to make Fluyo one of the world’s top remote companies
💪 You need to have:
- A strong operational, marketing or recruiting background
- Phenomenal critical thinking and problem solving skills
- An unwavering ability to figure out how to execute once given a task without the need for much oversight
- A high degree of intellectual curiosity coupled with an immense work ethic
- Successful transformations you’ve led within past companies and thoughtful analysis of what worked and why
- Experience in a leadership role at a startup or own company that scaled rapidly
- An openness and fearlessness to try new ideas, concepts, and be wrong (but learn from the experience)
😍 But it’d also be nice if you have:
- A love of learning new languages and gaming.
- A deeply entrepreneurial and self-starter nature.
- Management experience at a major tech startup (think FAANG) or considerable experience forming your own company.
- Experience with Kickstarter campaigns (either backing, or running your own)
Does that sound like you? If so, we’d be excited to here from you! Drop us a line at [email protected] with your credentials in any format you feel best (we’re a big fan of videos), or apply via our google form below. But don’t stop there, give us a few reasons to really get excited about you – share your thoughts on: 1. Tell us about a time where you made an inefficient system more efficient? How did you do so? 2. What has been your experience so far when it comes to language learning and gaming? 3. Who have you learned from the most in your career? Any certain authors, experts, content creators? Not looking for a novel here – just hoping to add some color to an otherwise typically boring resume/LinkedIn profile. We want to get to know you!
Learn more about Fluyo and our story here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgO37j5aSFw