In a world of beeps and clicks, Smile reminds us there is a human on the other side of every screen. We are a globally distributed 50+ person company with employees in Canada, the USA, South America, EMEA, and APAC. Our team has a strong emphasis on cross-cultural and timezone collaboration. We’ve been recognized as a “Best Place to Work” in Canada and look forward to expanding this on a global scale.
Our team is building the loyalty layer of the internet and currently already powers over 80,000 rewards programs, reaching more than 500 million shoppers. Above everything else we strive to make people happy —from the merchant to their consumer, to our own team (yes, our name really is fitting).
Who we are:
Human. The reason we do anything is to help another human succeed—whether they be on our team, one of our merchants or one of our merchants’ shoppers. We approach our work with open hearts and complete authenticity, always remembering how our actions impact the human on the other side of the screen.
Humble. We value our differences and leave egos at the door to find the solution that creates the most competitive advantage for our merchants, regardless of their source. We celebrate everyone’s wins as if they were our own and go out of our way to give others recognition.
Hungry. Our drive to help others keeps us committed to infinite learning and taking initiative when no one is watching. As a team, we welcome ambiguity as it is an opportunity to leave our mark and understand autonomy and accountability go hand in hand.
About the Team:
The engineering team at Smile.io believes in being proud of your code, owning what you ship, and embracing new tools to increase developer happiness. We believe small, empowered teams can ship products with the highest impact. Right now we’re working on expanding our product to support the massive growth of e-commerce. We currently power over 80,000 rewards programs, reaching more than 500 million customers, and serving 1M API requests/hour. Our primary deployment languages are Ruby on Rails, React, and Ember.js, but as a team, we enjoy learning new languages and technologies – so this list could change! We use Github, Slack, and CircleCI to communicate efficiently and ship code every day. We value diversity, inclusion, and belonging. It helps us build a better product, it helps us create opportunities for growth and change. It helps us enjoy the work we do and create a supportive creative environment to do our best work. It helps us to be human.
About the Role:
As a Frontend Software Engineer, you’ll be working on a distributed team with diverse skills across the tech stack. We build features, enhancements, experiments, and deliver sustainable, quality software in an agile environment. We are looking for a passionate front-end engineer who is motivated to combine the art of design with the art of programming. Responsibilities will include working closely with the design & product team to bridge the gap between graphical design and technical implementation and craft delightful user experiences, enthusiastically executing the development of our frontend codebases. We work collaboratively, move quickly, and value technical quality.
What you’ll help us achieve:
- Write, test, instrument, document, and maintain software for Smile.
- Review code and provide thoughtful, constructive feedback for your team
- Collaborate closely with Product, Design, and partner Engineering teams to build new features
- Analyze how your features are performing in production to learn and make the product better
- Support a highly available service used by millions of users on a daily basis
Who you are:
- Have high empathy in everything you do
- 5+ years of technical experience in software engineering or similar
- Have built web experiences and systems at scale
- Enjoy and thrive in a remote-first, distributed work culture
- Are highly self-directed and take initiative to go above and beyond expectations
- Value clear written and verbal communication
- Believe mentoring, and sharing information is better than hoarding it
- Able to pick up new concepts quickly and put them into practice
- Use data to validate your hypotheses and inform your decision making
- You enjoy automating and scaling
- You believe in simplicity over complexity
- You value agility and the ability to shift focus quickly
- You value products over projects
- You’re more focused on outcomes over output
Bonus if you have:
- Experience with Ember.js
- Ecommerce Industry Experience
- API Development Experience
- Experience with complex data structures and data architecture
- Experience with automated integration testing and test automation
- Security by Design, and Privacy by Design principles
- Experience with Amazon Web Services, Postgres, Kafka, Elasticsearch
Our commitment to candidates:
At Smile, we understand that finding a new role is challenging and that self-doubt or imposter syndrome can prevent you from applying to a role, don’t let it! You have a ton to offer and we want you to feel encouraged to apply, even if you don’t check all of the boxes. If you are passionate about eCommerce and helping merchants grow through loyalty and reward, connect with us.
At Smile, we rely on a range of backgrounds, experiences, and ideas. We value diversity, and we’re proud to be an inclusive, equal opportunity workplace. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.