👋 Thanks for stopping by and learning more about this role at Sitemate! ✨🏗️
We’d love to hear from you 🙂 👩💻👩🏽💻🧑🏿💻👨🏻💻
Brief overview of this role at Sitemate:
- We are looking for a full stack software engineer to join our engineering team and work with our CTO and one of our senior engineers on a new greenfield project, which will enable us to offer no code drag and drop integration and automation capabilities to our customers.
- This role would be great for you if you are looking for more technical authority and autonomy with your work. If you’ve worked with public APIs across common SaaS products (Zapier, Salesforce, PowerBI, etc) – this role would be perfect for you. If you’ve worked with no/low code integration and automation products – this role would be perfect for you. Maybe you are working in a bigger team and don’t have any opportunities to take a lead role – this role would be perfect for you. Maybe you’ve worked in startups or had your own startup that has finished up, and you want to join a startup team that move very quickly and place a huge emphasis on product and engineering – this role would be perfect for you. Maybe you don’t have as many years of experience of others, but think you would do well at taking on more responsibility – this role would be perfect for you.
- You will have opportunities such as becoming a senior and foundational member of our engineering team, regardless of your location – our 3 senior engineers are based in Melbourne, Vancouver and Almaty respectively. You will have the opportunity to be a part of a small internal startup team working on a greenfield project. You will have direct engagement, collaboration and communication with our Head of Product, Head of Design & UX and product-focused CEO.
- Preference: Australia, New Zealand, Vancouver, Almaty
- Remuneration: AUD $80k-$150k.
Why should I consider joining Sitemate?
- You can see what people really think about working at Sitemate here: https://www.glassdoor.com.au/Overview/Working-at-Sitemate-EI_IE3008131.11,19.htm (includes multiple reviews from some of our remote engineering team members who have been at Sitemate for 2-4 years 🧐)
- We have equal opportunity for applicants of all genders, ethnicity and sexualities – Sitemate’s team is proudly diverse.
- You will have flexible working options – our team is a blend of fully remote and hubs around offices. People based in hub cities typically work in the office 2-3 days per week, and 2-3 days working from home. Remote team members are 100% work from home.
- You will be remunerated based on your performance. If you are performing well, you won’t need to wait 3 years or have to find better offers elsewhere to receive an increase to your remuneration. 7 out of the last 10 remuneration increases for Sitemate team members have been made pro-actively by management, without the individual needing to even raise the topic of remuneration.
- You will get budget to set up your home office (laptop, standing desk, monitor, headphones etc).
- You will be able to attend company-sponsored training, workshops or conferences that help with your role.
- You will get additional benefits and support as parents – with paid leave for both primary and secondary carers (includes adoption), as well as support and leave for the tragic circumstances of stillbirth.
- You will get equity options and ownership in Sitemate on a standard vesting schedule. See here a general overview of how this works: https://legalvision.com.au/5-essential-elements-employee-share-scheme/
- Sitemate has grown from 5 people in 2018 to now over 20, and we’re now moving into the next stage of growing to 100 people! We have a product that customers are strongly engaged with, and every month we get around 300-400 new leads whilst spending $0 on marketing and 0 cold calling.
- Sitemate’s founders have diverse backgrounds – one with coming from engineering on major infrastructure projects such as roads, bridges and tunnels, the second coming from product and graphic design. This brings a unique perspective internally where we blend deep industry experience with a passion (obsession) for modern best practices in product design.
- Sitemate graduated from Australia’s #1 Technology Company Accelerator – Startmate (complete coincidence on the names… 😅).
- Sitemate has strong financial backing from Shearwater Growth Capital, which was founded by two Directors of WiseTech – a $14B software company for the logistics industry.
What is the working environment like at Sitemate?
- We are very transparent – monthly allhands meetings provide the team with direct insight into team updates, customer stories, hiring plans and key metrics (NPS, Revenue, Financial Performance). During this allhands meeting we also hear one ‘life story’ from one of our team each month – learning about different countries and cultures around the world.
- We place an extremely high value on your time – you won’t be spending your days wasting time on fighting internal systems, botched together spreadsheet processes or doing data entry.
- We use best in class systems that are seamlessly integrated to deliver our team the right information at the right time, allowing them to get their work done efficiently and to a very high standard.
- You will have a core and close team around you, but you will also be exposed to and working directly with multiple departments – engineering, product, design, marketing, sales and customer success.
- You will have a high degree of autonomy, as the focus is on outcomes and not hours. If you want to block off a few hours to run a personal errand – no worries. If you want to block off an hour to pick up the kids from school – no worries. No one will be monitoring your time.
- We are constantly working to minimise the number of group meetings – daily check ins are all done asynchronously (in your own time) each morning. But spontaneous 1:1s or small sessions are strongly encouraged!
What does Sitemate do, exactly?
- Sitemate builds best in class software products for the built world.
- Industrial companies operating in the built world are facing a number of mission critical challenges – changes in work behaviour due to covid-19, Generation Z starting to enter the workforce as mobile first users of software, and the drastic shift away from traditional mining to renewable energy projects such as wind farms and solar farms.
- See here an example wind farm project that is powered by Sitemate: https://roadbridge.ie/projects/beinn-an-tuirc-windfarm-phase-3/
- See here an example solar farm project that is powered by Sitemate: https://newenglandsolarfarm.com.au/the-project/
- Our first product – Dashpivot, is a platform where industrial style companies streamline and standardise their processes in a new digital format. This new digital format enables them to complete and track work in the field on a mobile or tablet, and automate repetitive tasks and tracking through automated workflows and real-time analytics.
See some of our user reviews for Dashpivot here:
- G2 Crowd: https://www.g2.com/products/dashpivot/reviews
- Trust Radius: https://www.trustradius.com/products/dashpivot-by-sitemate/reviews?o=recent
What will I be doing day to day in this role?
- For the first couple of months, you will likely pick up some ‘warm up’ tasks on our existing products, to help you familiarise yourself with the product and engineering team, as well as our existing functionality. During this period, you will also be joining research calls with our CEO, Head of Product and Head of Design & UX, as well as planning out the technical architecture for our new greenfield project.
- Once this period is complete, you will shift full-time to launching our new product – it will be like a mini-internal startup – fast paced, a little bit scrappy, learning and course correcting when required!
- You will be developing new features, fixing bugs and re-architecting core components functions. Wait a second, it’s a greenfield project – so there shouldn’t be any re-architecting required, right…? 😉
- Working closely with our delivery team (product owner & QA Engineers), product team and broader engineering team.
- Assisting our delivery team with diagnosing any production issues by investigating bugsnag and datadog logs, and then creating hotfix releases accordingly.
What will be the biggest challenges for me in this role?
- Greenfield project – so there will be unknown unknowns.
- Working with many other SaaS product’s APIs – likely of different quality standards.
- Architecting for durability – ensuring that data is queued mid-flight if a service goes offline either end of the automation flow (either ours or a 3rd party connected application).
- Architecting for backwards compatibility – many variables with our own API versioning and 3rd party SaaS product’s APIs constantly changing.
- You’ll be working directly with our most senior team members – who will have high expectations of the person who joins to work on this project.
What kind of skills and experience do I need to have? (Ideally most but not all)
- Experience with building no/low code automation product(s) preferred.
- Experience with building native integrations between SaaS products preferred.
- Broader non-technical understanding of the open API ecosystem, best practices and trends.
What does the application and interview process look like? And how long does it take?
Once you have expressed interest, we have an online application form that is connected to our internal systems. Following on from this, we have a combination of an online self service quiz and interviews. Usually it will only take a day or two to hear an update on next steps, and the overall process for those who make it all the way through, will usually take a couple of weeks.