Resolve to Save Lives is a global health initiative of Vital Strategies that aims to save millions of lives by reducing preventable deaths from cardiovascular disease and to prevent infectious disease epidemics. Since September 2017, Resolve to Save Lives has worked closely with low- and middle-income country governments, the World Health Organization, academic and other civil society partners to build capacity for and implement a core package of interventions to reduce cardiovascular disease, the world’s leading cause of death.
Simple is a free, open source app developed by Resolve to Save Lives, used by nurses, doctors and population health experts to treat patients with high blood pressure. This treatment prevents the world’s leading causes of death, heart attacks and strokes.
The Simple app is used by thousands of nurses and doctors every day, treating over a million patients across India, Bangladesh, and Ethiopia. Our goal is to save 100 million lives (see more details in The Lancet).
Learn more about the Simple project at Simple.org and in this article on our blog.
- Delivering fast, simple software used by nurses in clinics every day
- Working on solutions for hundreds of millions of patients
- Building holistic products, not just blindly writing code
- Contributing to an open source project used in multiple countries
- Open, honest, and supportive collaboration among designers, mobile developers, and Rails engineers
- Valuing convention over configuration
- Ensuring patient privacy and data security
- A remote-first philosophy that encourages information sharing and working hours that make sense
- Crafting dashboard charts and data pipeline that provide public health experts with a clear story of how patients and clinics are doing
- Adding an A/B testing framework for discovering the most effective reminders for patients to return for care
- Collaborating with our Android team to improve API endpoints and ensure they’re flexible and reliable
- Performance profiling and alerts to ensure our app scales to tens of millions of patients over time
- Improving how our app is deployed in AWS, on-premise servers in government data centers, and in other third-party cloud services
We try hard to be a team full of empathy, inclusion, and respect. We trust each other, have hard conversations with open mindedness, and assume positive intent. We are a small team of self-directed people. Once familiar with the project, we expect engineers to be able to take ownership and guide large projects from start to finish. We write down ideas and work as asynchronously as possible, meeting via video conference when necessary. Proposing ideas and trying things matter more than always being right. We are frequently wrong and try to write code we can easily change when we learn new things. We’re excited for you to participate and look forward to helping you grow your own skills as well.
Given that we’re writing software for the globe, it’s critical that our team represent the diverse environments in which we operate. We strive for an inclusive, diverse team with different perspectives, ideas, and identities.
- Value simplicity over perfection
- Be a problem solver and doer, take ownership of your work
- Focus on outcomes instead of getting lost in details
- Clear communications that empower and enable others
- Ask for help when you need it
- Coach, share knowledge, and nurture a supportive engineering culture
- Don’t be afraid to try things and learn from mistakes
- Set clear timelines and document progress
- Very fluent with Ruby and Rails development
- Strong understanding of Rails conventions and object-oriented principles
- Knowledge of ActiveRecord, indexes, and caching
- Embrace testing and continuous integration
- Launched and maintained production Rails apps at scale
- Hands-on architectural experience with modern cloud infrastructure and managing apps that are growing quickly
- Supported production APIs and user-facing components
As for your specifics, a CS degree is not required, nor do we require a certain number of years of experience. What really matters is how you got here, why you want to be here, and what you can do.
Availability: You’re free to work when you want, provided that you can overlap and collaborate with the team as needed. That said, we understand that staying up all night does not lead to great work. You also must have reliable, consistent access to a network for frequent online collaboration.
This is a remote position. Our team spans the US and India, and we’re currently looking for engineers in the US to provide a better team balance.
6 months with potential for extension.