Senior Software Engineer / Remote / Product / Full-Time
TL;DR: Fast-growing early-stage startup seeking Senior Fullstack Software Engineer. In doing so, we’ll empower the most ambitious people in the world to build the future. We are a remote-first company! Details below!
This role is directed at people with substantial experience and the willingness to lead projects from inception to release.
About On Deck
On Deck is on a mission to build a modern education institution for the future of work.
Today, On Deck has become the place top talent and ambitious builders go to accelerate their ideas and careers, empowered by a world-class community of their peers.
Our internal community website is essentially a curated private social network.
But it has one difference. It’s not about statically presenting yourself or your CV. It’s about you achieving your objectives.
May your objectives be to find a cofounder, an investor, level up your career as engineering manager, become a full-time writers/podcaster, or release your product.
Our goal is that we connect you with the right answers or people to achieve those objectives quicker.
Essentially you will build recommendation engines, productize how we encourage interaction within On Deck, suggest questions and requests to the right people, encourage engagement between the right people, and many more things.
Typical examples might be:
Finding the right co-founder is a pivotal moment in every entrepreneurs founding story. How can you accelerate this? How would co-founder matchmaking products ideally look like? Who would you recommend to them automatically?
How do you rank people? We can’t just match based on interest-tags. We know a lot from them through their journeys within On Deck. We ask people about each 1:1 they had. How can we work with this?
How would you build a Quora like engine that recommends questions to the right person?
While this sounds simple this involves building data pipelines, machine learning, building apis, building web product, keeping data privacy in mind, and many other things.
How we work
All Software Engineers act as Product Engineers who lead projects from inception to release. We work asynchronous and remote-first. This means we cannot (and do not want to) micro-manage you. You will be given problems and will help drive solutions.
We are looking for people with experience that we – hopefully – can form teams around in the long run.
Who you are:
- A strong high-output and execution-centric full-stack engineer who loves to work with modern data and machine learning stacks.
- Experience with Node, React, Postgres, GraphQL in mid-to-large sized applications.
- Demonstrates a track record of 3+ years in challenging engineering roles within startups.
- Able to lead teams and projects.
- Able to establish standards in codebases for others to follow.
- Able to decide what aspects of products need to be perfected and when to cut corners to ship faster.
- You thrive in a fast-paced, often scrappy, sometimes chaotic environment.
Why you might be excited about us:
- We’re tackling a big problem with even bigger potential.
- Participants in our existing Fellowships say great things about us.
- You’ll be able to work remotely and (mostly) set your own schedule. On Deck was a remote-first team even before COVID, so we know what makes for a great remote environment.
- You’ll have a lot of flexibility in your role, and will be able to help define what our operations infrastructure looks like going forward.
- We’re backed by a who’s who of the biggest names in the venture investing world, including Village Global, Marc Andreessen, Keith Rabois, Chris Dixon, Balaji Srinivasan, Bloomberg Beta, and so many more. (Read more about our fundraise and 50-year vision here.)
Why you might *not* be excited about us:
- We are still a fairly young company with about 100 people, so if you like more established companies, this role isn’t for you. You’ll help create our company’s culture.
- We’re an early stage startup. Projects and priorities are likely to shift.
- Everyone on the team is extremely mission-driven, and works incredibly hard to push towards our lofty ambitions. Most people won’t be cut out for it.
- You should be comfortable with just a dash of chaos. This is not the kind of job where you show up and we tell you exactly what to do every day.
- On Deck is an unabashedly pro-startup, pro-tech organization. If that’s not your thing, this isn’t the place for you.
This role comes with a competitive salary, stock options, you can take any PTO you need, anytime you need, and employee benefits including generous healthcare.
Our team works remotely, and we are excited about candidates globally. Please note that most of our product engineering team works between GMT-8 and GMT+3. We work fairly asynchronous but candidates from these regions will be preferred.
You would start as soon as possible.
If you were to join On Deck, we’d want you to love it. We also know that it can be hard to tell from the outside looking in whether that would be the case for you. So, we challenged ourselves to develop an honest set of reasons someone wouldn’t want to join our company. We hope it helps you make an informed decision about whether On Deck is a place you’d love to work. In summary, On Deck may not be the place for you if:
• Another company’s mission gets you way more fired up.
• You want a 9-5 job.
• You do your best work in highly-structured, steady-paced, and meticulously-planned environments.
• You like finding and poking holes more than you like filling them.
• You see differences as divisions.
You can read the details of why On Deck may not be the company for you on our Non-Values page.